|Frequently Asked Questions|
WHAT IS YOUR PREVIEW POLICY?
Funded media buyers from educational institutions may preview any Bullfrog Films title FREE for purchase evaluation. We may ask international customers to preview online or pay a shipping fee.
I WANT TO RETURN MY PREVIEW/RENTAL ORDER. WHAT SHIPPING
We offer previews by DVD or streaming online. Please send us an email to request a preview, and if you want the DVD or online preview. If you order through our online cart please note which format you prefer.
For DVD previews: The DVD preview copy you receive will contain the complete film, and the free preview privilege is intended to enable you to make an informed purchase decision. The preview privilege is not available to renters, home video customers, or to those buying titles for under $90. Bullfrog Films reserves the right to revoke this privilege at any time if we feel it is not being utilized in the manner for which it is intended.
DVD preview copies are almost always new copies, and customers who retain their previews can save 10% off the purchase price. Simply contact Bullfrog to let us know of your retention request so that we can bill you the appropriate amount. If the DVD preview does not suit your needs, it must be returned. See the FAQ question below for shipping instructions.
For streaming previews: Our streaming previews are the complete film and hosted on Vimeo. You will be provided with a link to the film title you wish to preview, along with a password to access the preview. Vimeo passwords will be changed regularly. If you find that the password provided to you no longer works — and you are still within your preview period — please email us for an updated password. Please note our online previews are watermarked and in a lower resolution than the high quality DVD you will be purchasing.
ADDRESS SHOULD I USE?
DVDs being returned to Bullfrog Films should be insured for $50 per item and securely packaged in a padded or rigid mailer or shipping box. Please do not apply tape or affix handwritten memos to the DVD itself as these can damage the item and may necessitate replacement. Please include some form of identification such as the original packing slip in the box.
I’M INTERESTED IN SCREENING A FILM THAT YOU DISTRIBUTE. HOW MUCH
Returns should be addressed to:
372 Dautrich RD
Reading, PA 19606
WILL IT COST?
The cost of your screening depends on a few factors. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind.
Classroom Rental: This is a film rental intended for a one-time screening in a classroom setting only. The pricing for this type of rental is listed on our catalog pages in the upper right-hand corner.
Campus-wide and Community Screenings: A one-time film screening that is open to members of your community and/or the entire student body and faculty of your campus.
Customers interested in screening our films on-campus or in their community to raise awareness about a pertinent issue, or as a fundraising event for their grassroots group, student group, or community organization, will find several licensing options available through our Bullfrog Communities initiative. Visit the Bullfrog Communities website for details on our community screening licenses and pricing, and browse a selection of films available for campus-wide and community screenings. A community screening license includes the right to charge an admission fee, if you wish to do so.
Interested in a film not listed on Bullfrog Communities? We’d be happy to answer your questions about this type of screening event via phone (610-779-8226) or email.
NOTE: A DVD purchased with public performance rights from Bullfrog Films may be used for admission-free screening events on your campus with no additional screening fees.
Film Festival: If you’re interested in including a Bullfrog Films title in your film festival line-up, or would like to preview a film for consideration, please contact our film festival coordinator Mark Martelli with your request.
THE DVD-R I RECEIVED WILL NOT PLAY IN MY DVD PLAYER OR COMPUTER.
WHAT IS WRONG?
Many of our older titles have been made available as DVD-Rs. Though the manufacturing process differs, the –R media functions in the same way as a regular DVD disc. DVD players manufactured before a certain date (generally prior to 2001) and many bargain consumer models are not able to “read” the DVD-R format. We recommend that you research the DVD player model you or your institution will be using to anticipate any compatibility issues. There are many online resources available. We have provided a link to a fairly thorough listing of DVD players and the formats they support:
DVD Player List
If you are experiencing playback issues with your DVD-R on a computer, we recommend trying the following media software programs, which are free to download and use:
VLC Media Player
Customers renting DVDs for classroom or community screenings are likewise encouraged to allow time for testing of any media for compatibility issues before the show date.
THE DVD/DVD-R I RECEIVED SUFFERS FROM SKIPS, FREEZES, OR
OTHER PLAYBACK ISSUES. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
First and foremost, we want to ensure that your viewing experience is as trouble-free as possible, and so we encourage customers to inform us of any problems they experience when viewing our films on DVD. We do recommend that before contacting Bullfrog Films about defective media issues, customers take the following steps:
- Research the DVD player model you are using to identify any compatibility issues that could be responsible for the problems you are experiencing.
- If you are playing the DVD on a computer, try using a different software program.
- Carefully examine the data (non-label) side of the disc. Often times gently wiping the surface of the disc with a clean soft cloth or rag can remove minor dirt from the disc surface and correct the problem. Always wipe the disc surface from the center hole to the outer edge. Don't follow the concentric circles while cleaning. Avoid using paper products or materials with an abrasive surface, as they will scratch the disc. It is also advisable to refrain from touching the data side of the disc, as fingerprints can also cause playback errors.
- If there are fingerprint marks on the CD surface, dip a soft cloth in rubbing alcohol and gently wipe the surface. Never use a petroleum-based solvent like acetone as that will permanently damage the DVD surface. Ordinary water, or better yet mineral water, can be used as a substitute.
- If the DVD surface feels sticky or greasy, mix some baby shampoo in lukewarm water and use cotton or soft cloth to gently rub the DVD surface with this solution. Make sure the DVD is completely dry (no water drops) before attempting to play it again.
If you still experience poor playback, make a note of what type of playback error you experienced and where on the disc it occurred (supplying the timecode info from your DVD player display is best) and contact Bullfrog Films by phone or email. In most cases we will immediately replace the title free-of-charge or offer a refund if the customer so desires. We will provide a return-shipping label for the problematic media and test it for defects.
ARE YOUR DVDS/DVD-RS REGION ENCODED? ARE THEY PAL OR NTSC?
All Bullfrog Films DVDs are “all-region” (but often referred to as “region free” or “Region 0”), meaning they should be compatible with any DVD player in any country. Region codes do not apply to the recordable DVD-R format.
Bullfrog Films DVDs are formatted for NTSC. For customers in areas that use PAL this is generally not an issue, as most DVD players sold in countries using the PAL standard are able to read both PAL and NTSC-formatted DVDs and DVD-Rs*. However, the majority of players sold in areas using the NTSC standard will not play PAL-formatted media. According to DVD Demystified, NTSC discs will play on over 95% of DVD players/systems worldwide.
Customers who require PAL-formatted DVDs should contact us via phone or email with your requests.
*Viewers in PAL regions may encounter a problem when attempting to watch an NTSC-formatted DVD/DVD-R via a PAL-only television set.
SOME TITLES ONLY HAVE VHS AS THE AVAILABLE FORMAT. IS IT POSSIBLE TO PURCHASE THESE ON DVD?
If you are purchasing the program, we can convert most titles to DVD. Please contact us by email or by phone at 800/543-3764 with the title(s).
WHAT IS YOUR REPLACEMENT POLICY?
To safeguard your investment in Bullfrog DVDs and videos, we will replace any damaged, stolen or misplaced Bullfrog DVD or VHS videocassette in the original purchased format for $25. This warranty applies as long as the program is offered for sale. Please notify us of the circumstances. In the case of defective media, Bullfrog Films will generally replace the item free of charge.
WHY ARE THE FILMS YOU DISTRIBUTE SO EXPENSIVE? WHAT
ARE PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS?
Bullfrog Films is primarily a non-theatrical distributor, as opposed to a consumer DVD or home video distributor. Our programs come with public performance rights, which is the right to show the film in public provided no admission fee is charged. This does NOT include the right to show the film on television or online, only the right to show the
film in public to any audience where the projector and audience are in the same room.
Our main customers are educational institutions who will use the film within the campus community for years. Unlike textbooks, faculty and teachers seldom assign DVDs for their students to buy.
When you buy these programs, remember that a good portion of the price is returned to the producer in royalties, helping them to recoup production costs or invest in a new project.
We do offer reduced rates to grass roots groups and others with small audiences and smaller budgets. If the price listed is outside your budget range, please call us at 800/543-3764 to explain your circumstances.
I AM A FILMMAKER/PRODUCER INTERESTED IN WORKING WITH
BULLFROG FILMS. HOW DO I SUBMIT MY FILM FOR
Bullfrog Films specializes in films about environmental and related social justice issues. Filmmakers and producers who wish to have their films considered for distribution by Bullfrog Films are encouraged to browse through our online catalog to be sure your film fits our collection. If you believe it does, please send a description of the film via email to Bullfrog’s president, John Hoskyns-Abrahall, who handles all acquisitions. Please include in your correspondence links to your film’s website, photo galleries, or online trailer, if available. Contact information for John is as follows:
PH: (610) 779-8226
FX: (610) 370-1978
If we find your film to be a good fit for our collection, John will then ask you to forward a screener copy and a press-kit. The evaluation process takes about one month. I’M INTERESTED IN BUYING ONE OF YOUR FILMS FOR MY PERSONAL USE. I’M PLANNING ON
WATCHING IT IN PRIVATE AT HOME. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
Bullfrog Films has home use rights for some, but not all, of the films in our catalog. Films may be available for home use on DVD, for streaming purchase and/or rental, or some combination of these options.
- For a list of films available from Bullfrog Films on DVD for home/personal use, go here. If a film we distribute that you are interested in purchasing is not listed as available for home use through our website, please contact us via phone or email to ask about availability.
- Some films available for campus and community screening bookings through our Bullfrog Communities initiative have a Home Use option.
- If you are interested in renting or purchasing a film for home use streaming, we have a selection of titles available worldwide for rental and/or purchase on Vimeo On Demand. We also have a limited selection of titles available for streaming or DVD purchase on Amazon Prime Video.
- Many Bullfrog titles have been made available for home use streaming through the subscription service OVID.tv, a collaborative effort by eight of the most noteworthy, independent film distribution companies in the U.S.: Bullfrog Films, dGenerate Films, Distrib Films US, First Run Features, Grasshopper Film, Icarus Films, KimStim, and Women Make Movies. Subscriptions are available on a monthly or yearly basis, and are currently for U.S. Customers only. Please visit OVID.tv for details.