SPECIAL OFFER: A special offer is available for six or more of any of the 'Life' Series titles. .
New! An interactive version of our printed LIFE brochures, featuring a detailed global map and clickable hyperlinks that will take you to the catalog page for each program. View or download the map here.
LIFE III is a 12-part series that examines the issue of globalization and its effect on ordinary people and communities around the world. Produced for BBC Worldwide Television, the series takes us to Russia, Guatemala, Bangladesh, India, Zambia, Nepal, South Africa, and Ghana. Individual programs focus on children, health and nutrition, the HIV/AIDS epidemic, poverty, agriculture, trade, sustainable development, women's issues and human rights.
NOTE: Six more series of LIFE programs are now available.
The titles in this series are:
1. The Road from Rio - Questions the relevance and success of the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg.
2. Danger: Children at Work - Guatemalan agencies try to discourage child labor and fireworks production by poor families.
3. The Trade Trap - Ghanaian farmers struggle to get a foothold in the international market.
4. Kosovo: Rebuilding the Dream - Assesses the success of UN efforts in rebuilding Kosovo.
5. The Perfect Famine - Examines the causes of, and solutions to, severe famine conditions in Malawi.
6. It Takes a Village - A cyclone in Bangladesh results in the construction of an experimental community health center.
7. Seeing is Believing - Zambia begins a nationwide program to deliver Vitamin A to its population.
8. Cheated of Childhood - The International Labor Organization tries to rescue and rehabilitate the street children of St. Petersburg.
9. Patents and Patients - India battles HIV/AIDS using generic drugs.
10. The Doctor's Story - The US debate over abortion has severe consequences for health care in rural Nepal.
11. Sowing Seeds of Hunger - The AIDS epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa has crippled the agricultural community while forcing children to undertake the responsibilities of farming.
12. Up in Smoke - Dependence on tobacco crops and manipulation by the tobacco industry has stunted the economy of Malawi.
Grade Level: 7-12, College, Adult
US Release Date: 2003
Copyright Date: 2002
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-204-1
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-012-X
"A compelling and well-produced look at globalization's impact on humanity...this 12-part series is a must see for those wanting to solve the key issues of our time."
Randy Hayes, Board of Directors, International Forum on Globalization
"Dynamic and balanced...as a whole the three LIFE series are a significant contribution to the library and educational video marketplace."
Carleton Jackson, University of Maryland, Hornbake Library
"For its brevity, its succinctly focusing on the important issues, and its in-depth insights, LIFE III is to be commended for helping to make classroom teaching more effective by providing the instructor a rich palette from which to choose visual and graphic examples."
Morad Eghbal, Deputy Director of the Center for International and Comparative Law, University of Baltimore School of Law