Grades Pre-K - Grade 2
Directed by J.J. Johnson
Produced by marblemedia/Sinking Ship Productions
DVD Purchase $1595 VHS Purchase $1595, Rent $325
US Release Date: 2005
Copyright Date: 2004
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-294-7
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-293-9
Children's Stories: Live Action
Food and Nutrition
Awards and Festivals
Grand Prize for Best Program, Alliance for Children and Television's Awards of Excellence
A Series of 13 Programs|
This is Daniel Cook
13-part series in which Daniel Cook explores the world around him through his own candid questions.
SPECIAL OFFER: A special offer is available for six or more of any of the 'This is Daniel Cook' or 'This is Emily Yeung' Series titles. .
This series features six-year old Daniel Cook. Well-mannered, inquisitive and intelligent Daniel explores the world around him through his own candid questions. Simple, pure, and honest, this is a series that allows children to view everything from Daniel's perspective, seeing what he sees and learning what he learns.
Each segment is six minutes long and they have been aggregated thematically into 13 half-hour episodes, each with 5 separate segments.
There is a companion interactive website to enhance and further the Daniel Cook experience.
The 13 individual episodes are:
1. My Community - Part 1 - Daniel at the police station, at the fire station, at the market, building a sidewalk, and on a train.
2. My Community - Part 2 - Daniel at a street festival, at the doctor, at the dentist, at the zoo, and with the Earth Rangers.
3. Creating Food - Daniel makes chocolate, ice cream, a pie, cookies, and pizza.
4. Creating Art - Daniel at an art gallery, making plasticine art, painting giraffes, drawing dragons, and making a clay dragon.
5. Performing - Daniel learns about busking, clowning, doing magic, learning yo-yo tricks, and visits the Famous People Players.
6. Animals - Daniel milks a cow, learns about raptors, feeds giraffes, trains puppies, and visits a farm.
7. Science - Daniel makes paper, learns about electricity, visits a science center, learns about dinosaurs, and taking pictures.
8. Environment - Daniel Cook learns about composting, visits a rainforest, learns about ponds, bee keeping, and hiking.
9. Language Arts - Daniel creates stories, visits the library, writes poetry, makes a book, and learns about the production of "This is Daniel Cook."
10. Sports - Daniel at a pool, rock climbing, learning Tae Kwon Do, lawn bowling, and skating.
11. Fitness/Movement - Daniel learns gymnastics, does ballet, learns to break dance, tap dance, and exercise.
12. Connecting with Our World - Part I - Daniel learns to bowl, plays the drums, goes horseback riding, canoeing, and flies a plane.
13. Connecting with Our World - Part 2 - Daniel goes on a tall ship, tastes new fruits, visits Medieval Times, learns about Egypt, and makes a gingerbread house.
"As enjoyable as it is educational, This is Daniel Cook: Creating--Food is an excellent addition to public library children's DVD collections, whether by itself or along with the rest of the captivating This is Daniel Cook series...Also highly recommended is the equally educational thirteen-part documentary series This is Emily Yeung."
The Midwest Book Review
"What a delightful collection! It is a terrific variety of appropriate topics nicely grouped and with distinct parallels to the primary curriculum. Besides the value for children, I think the positive modeling of channeling the energy, focusing the interest and taking advantage of the curiosity is terrific! There is a lot for parents, caregivers, and teachers to learn from this series."
Sandi Zwaan, Educational Consultant
"[This is Daniel Cook] is a fun, entertaining, and quite interesting set of adventures... These videos are great for pre-K levels. Additionally, kids from fourth grade and under might find them somewhat intriguing. The ideal library