Grades 7-12, College, Adult
Directed by Hilary Nicholson
Produced by Television Trust for the Environment
DVD Purchase $195, Rent $45
VHS Purchase $195, Rent $45
US Release Date: 2002
Copyright Date: 2001
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-137-1
VHS ISBN: 1-56029-930-4
Central America/The Caribbean
Citizenship and Civics
Death And Dying
City Life Series|
Together Against Violence
Poor Jamaican community overcomes violence.
Bennetlands is a ghetto community in the heart of Kingston, Jamaica -- home to five thousand people. Half of them are under 25 and over two thousand are unemployed. Once, despite the poverty, Bennetlands was a peaceful place, with daily life revolving around its primary school, two churches and the S-Corner Clinic, which provided health care, support and education for high school drop-outs. But in the 1980s war broke out in the region -- with rival 'corner' gangs fighting a vicious turf battle over Bennetlands' one high street, terrorizing the neighborhood and preventing children from going to school. Then one of the gang leaders, the 'dons' in the local parlance, was shot outside the S-Corner Clinic, and the community decided that enough was enough.
Together Against Violence recreates the story of how the local leaders joined forces to challenge the local gangs to heal their differences and work together to restore a sense of community in one poor Jamaican neighborhood.
The producer of this program has collected extensive resources at www.tve.org/lifeonline/index.cfm?aid=1096.
The other titles in the series are:
1. City Life - Explores Sao Paolo in introduction to series examining the effects of globalization on people and cities.
2. The Long March - Community in Chengdu, China has organized to clean-up polluted river.
3. The Health Protestors - Health care advocates demand universal health care for the world's population at international convention in Dhaka.
5. Paradise Domain - Pacific islanders are not benefiting from digital windfall or World Wide Web.
6. Pavements of Gold - Increase in urban poverty and population, caused by globalization, threatens Peruvians.
7. Doing the Right Thing - Porto Alegre, Brazil has benefited from urban revitalization.
8. My Mother Built This House - Large homeless contingent in South Africa has organized to build houses for each other.
9. Barcelona Blueprint - Barcelona today is a model of urban planning that may prove sustainable.
10. Gaza Under Siege - The Gaza Strip has been a virtual prison for Palestinians for over fifty years.
11. Waiting to Go - Palestinian refugees in Lebanon are denied human rights.
12. A Fistful of Rice - Protein deficiency threatens generations of children in Nepal.
13. Patently Obvious - International patent regulations only protect multinationals.
14. The Other Side - Poor Mexicans attempt perilous border crossing to US, often at the expense of family, traditional culture, and their lives.
15. The Miller's Tale: Bread Is Life - Efforts are underway in Egypt and Yemen to fortify flour with iron to wipe out needless malnutrition.
16. Brazil: Winning Against AIDS - Brazil has developed generic antiretroviral drugs to care for those afflicted with HIV/AIDS.
17. Missing Out - Anemia threatens the population of Niger and Tanzania.
18. Stop the Traffick - Investigates horror of child sex industry in Cambodia.
19. My Hanoi - Tour of rapidly urbanizing Hanoi, and the effect on citizens and culture.
20. Lines in the Dust - In revolutionary programs in Northern Ghana and India, gender roles are challenged, and illiterate adults educated.
21. Paying the Price - Pharmaceutical companies block generic drugs, threatening the lives of millions of Africans with AIDS.
22. Holy Smoke: Cambodians Fight Tobacco - Buddhist monks lead anti-tobacco campaign in Cambodia.