In this new 13-part series, six-year-old Emily Yeung takes on the world with her own unique perspective. She's joined on her adventures by everyone from snake handlers to professional basketball players; from stuffed animal makers to pineapple upside-down cake bakers. Whoever her guest may be, inquisitive Emily is always up for a new experience or challenge.
Each segment is six minutes long and they have been aggregated thematically into 13 half-hour episodes, each with 5 separate segments.
There is a companion interactive website to enhance and further the Emily Yeung experience.
The five 6 minute segments in Great Canadian Wonders are:
1) THIS IS EMILY YEUNG AT AN ICE HOTEL - Emily Yeung visits a hotel made completely of ice! She learns how to sculpt an ice dolphin, visits an ice chapel, and even tries out an ice bed!
2) THIS IS EMILY YEUNG TOURING QUEBEC CITY - Bonjour mes amis! Emily Yeung has been invited to tour Quebec City. Emily tours the historic Chateau Frontenac before skating on an outdoor rink during a snowfall.
3) THIS IS EMILY YEUNG AT AN AMUSEMENT PARK - Emily Yeung visits Ontario Place for a little fun in the sun. Emily climbs through a giant jungle gym then hits the bumper boats. Emily ends her day with a fast ride down a waterslide.
4) THIS IS EMILY YEUNG VISITING A HOT SPRING - Emily Yeung explores a natural hot spring in Banff Alberta. She learns how hot water from within the Earth bubbles up to the surface and stays warm even on cold winter days. Emily also meets some unlikely animals that like to live in the hot springs.
5) THIS IS EMILY YEUNG EXPLORING THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS - Emily Yeung is exploring the Rockies! She learns about how these mountains came to be and meets some of the animals that like to live around them - a skunk, a porcupine and even a wolf.
The other episodes are:
1. Getting Creative, Part I Emily makes a variety of crafts including origami art, a clay sculpture, and a collage.
2. Getting Creative, Part II In this episode Emily makes her own stuffed animal, builds a sand sculpture, and more.
3. All Sorts of Animals Emily learns about snakes and camels, takes care of some kittens, and even swims with dolphins!
5. Fit and Fun Emily tries out a number of physical activities including basketball, soccer, skiing and snowboarding.
6. Great Times in All Kinds of Weather Emily shows us all sorts of activities to keep busy in good or bad weather.
7. Creatures, Creations, Conservation In this episode Emily explores a forest, learns about worms, tries some science experiments, and plants a tree.
8. A Few of My Favorite Things Emily builds a treehouse, learns about rabbits and fireworks, plays dress-up, and goes ice fishing.
9. A Day in My Life Emily learns about different jobs including being a paramedic, a post office worker and an astronaut!
10. Let's Get Cookin' Emily tries her hand at making a variety of delicious foods in the kitchen.
11. Sharing Multicultural Traditions Emily learns karate, makes sushi and bubble tea, learns an African dance, and makes a medicine wheel.
12. At the Farm Emily rides a tractor, tends to the horses, learns about chickens, becomes a cowgirl, and makes fresh cheese.
13. Putting on a Show Emily puts on a puppet show, makes a mask, practices ballet dancing, and meets both Cirque du Soleil and the Blue Man Group.
Holiday Special Emily celebrates Christmas and learns about other holidays that people celebrate.
Grade Level: Pre-K-2
US Release Date: 2007
Copyright Date: 2006
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-716-7
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-715-9
"Emily is chockablock full of wonder with an appealing curiosity that will prompt children to ask interesting questions about their own world. Emily's voice, intonation and facial expressions sparkle with a natural energy. Parents, caregivers, teachers and early childhood education students will also find they have much to learn from Emily and the adults she meets throughout her escapades. The adults listen carefully to Emily and gently guide her, never hampering her inquisitiveness. Instead, they support her development of new knowledge using what she has already learned about the world. Rich with vocabulary and brimming with interesting experiences, each episode is worth a repeat visit!"
Dr. Mary Jane Eisenhauer, Assistant Professor of Early Childhood Education, Purdue University North Central
"All films are of great quality and provide four accessibility options for the visual and hearing impaired...The programming is excellent and will appeal to young audiences to be used in any elementary classroom, media center, or public library."
Deidra Herring, The Ohio State University, Educational Media Reviews Online
"Emily is a bright and engaging protagonist, and young viewers will delight in her diverse adult and child friends. The filmmakers have created a warm and safe environment for this young child to grow and learn, one that serves [as] a model for children and their communities everywhere."
"Spontaneous...Emily asks a lot of questions and offers her own opinions. She is a charming, enthusiastic host whose sparkle is infectious and is always eager to embark on new adventures and be challenged. Viewers will be inspired to learn more about the subjects that Emily introduces and to try some of the physical and creative activities that are featured...Educational and lots of fun."
Wendy Woodfill, Hennepin Country Library, School Library Journal