This series features six-year old Daniel Cook. Well-mannered, inquisitive and intelligent Daniel explores the world around him through his own candid questions. Simple, pure, and honest, this is a series that allows children to view everything from Daniel's perspective, seeing what he sees and learning what he learns.
"A delightful collection!...appropriate topics nicely grouped and with distinct parallels to the primary curriculum." Sandi Zwaan, Educational Consultant
Each segment is six minutes long and they have been aggregated thematically into 13 half-hour episodes, each with 5 separate segments.
There is a companion interactive website to enhance and further the Daniel Cook experience.
The five 6 minute segments in My Community - Part I are:
1) THIS IS DANIEL COOK AT THE POLICE STATION - Daniel tours a police station and learns about the different vehicles police officers use to help the community.
2) THIS IS DANIEL COOK AT THE FIRE STATION - Daniel tours a fire station and learns about the different tools firefighters use to fight fire. Daniel suits up in a firefighter's outfit, sprays a fire hose and sounds the fire engine's siren!
3) THIS IS DANIEL COOK AT THE MARKET - Daniel tours a local market to see and taste all the different things a market has to offer.
4) THIS IS DANIEL COOK BUILDING A SIDEWALK - Daniel learns how sidewalks are built while visiting a construction site. Daniel helps operate a backhoe and smooth out freshly poured cement.
5) THIS IS DANIEL COOK ON A TRAIN - Daniel tours a historic train station before learning from the motorman how to control the big electric trains.
The other 12 episodes are:
2. My Community - Part 2 - Daniel at a street festival, at the doctor, at the dentist, at the zoo, and with the Earth Rangers.
3. Creating Food - Daniel makes chocolate, ice cream, a pie, cookies, and pizza.
4. Creating Art - Daniel at an art gallery, making plasticine art, painting giraffes, drawing dragons, and making a clay dragon.
5. Performing - Daniel learns about busking, clowning, doing magic, learning yo-yo tricks, and visits the Famous People Players.
6. Animals - Daniel milks a cow, learns about raptors, feeds giraffes, trains puppies, and visits a farm.
7. Science - Daniel makes paper, learns about electricity, visits a science center, learns about dinosaurs, and taking pictures.
8. Environment - Daniel Cook learns about composting, visits a rainforest, learns about ponds, bee keeping, and hiking.
9. Language Arts - Daniel creates stories, visits the library, writes poetry, makes a book, and learns about the production of "This is Daniel Cook."
10. Sports - Daniel at a pool, rock climbing, learning Tae Kwon Do, lawn bowling, and skating.
11. Fitness/Movement - Daniel learns gymnastics, does ballet, learns to break dance, tap dance, and exercise.
12. Connecting with Our World - Part I - Daniel learns to bowl, plays the drums, goes horseback riding, canoeing, and flies a plane.
13. Connecting with Our World - Part 2 - Daniel goes on a tall ship, tastes new fruits, visits Medieval Times, learns about Egypt, and makes a gingerbread house.
Grade Level: Pre-K - Grade 2
US Release Date: 2005
Copyright Date: 2004
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-296-3
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-295-5
"As enjoyable as it is educational, This is Daniel Cook: Creating--Food is an excellent addition to public library children's DVD collections, whether by itself or along with the rest of the captivating This is Daniel Cook series...Also highly recommended is the equally educational thirteen-part documentary series This is Emily Yeung."
The Midwest Book Review
"What a delightful collection! It is a terrific variety of appropriate topics nicely grouped and with distinct parallels to the primary curriculum. Besides the value for children, I think the positive modeling of channeling the energy, focusing the interest and taking advantage of the curiosity is terrific! There is a lot for parents, caregivers, and teachers to learn from this series."
Sandi Zwaan, Educational Consultant