This series features seven-year old Daniel Cook. Well-mannered, inquisitive and intelligent Daniel explores the world around him through his own candid questions. Simple, pure, and honest, this is a series that allows children to view everything from Daniel's perspective, seeing what he sees and learning what he learns.
"A delightful collection!...appropriate topics nicely grouped and with distinct parallels to the primary curriculum." Sandi Zwaan, Educational Consultant
Each segment is six minutes long and they have been aggregated thematically into 13 half-hour episodes, each with 5 separate segments.
There is a companion interactive website to enhance and further the Daniel Cook experience.
The five 6 minute segments in Winter Fun are:
1) THIS IS DANIEL COOK DOGSLEDDING - On a snowy day Daniel helps care for a pack of huskies before learning the call signs to tell them where he wants to go.
2) THIS IS DANIEL COOK DOWNHILL SKIING - Daniel learns about ski equipment and safety before hitting the slopes with his ski instructor for some downhill fun.
3) THIS IS DANIEL COOK TOBOGGANING - Daniel joins a toboggan expert and has fun racing down snowy slopes. Daniel learns how to control the speed and direction of his toboggan and how to fall off safely if he's heading towards a tree!
4) THIS IS DANIEL COOK AT A WINTER FESTIVAL - Daniel has been invited to tour a winter festival. Daniel visits a rural town to try his hand at the pancake cook-off, try some new cuisine and participate in a lumberjack-sawing contest.
5) THIS IS DANIEL COOK CURLING - Daniel has been invited to a curling club to get his very first lesson in the sport. Daniel learns how to play the game before challenging other kids to a match.
The other episodes are:
15. Celebrations Daniel carves a pumpkin, goes trick-or-treating, makes a valentine and an ornament, and decorates Easter eggs.
16. Special Things To Eat - Daniel tries new vegetables and makes maple syrup, a birthday cake, candy canes, and a yule log.
17. Special Things To Make - Daniel builds his own robot and makes a birdhouse, an animal totem, a puppet, and soap.
18. Interesting People, Interesting Jobs - Daniel gets an eye exam, learns about dog guides and yoga, visits a veterinarian, and helps a zookeeper.
19. Amazing Art - Daniel makes felt art, paints with watercolors, makes a self-portrait, draws a turtle, and makes a paper mache monster.
20. Water and Animals - Daniel sets up an aquarium, learns about fish and fishing, and goes whale watching.
21. Exploring and Discovering - Daniel learns about the desert, meets an elephant, goes on safari, and explores a cave and a beach.
22. Thrills and Chills Pt. 1 - Daniel goes go-carting, rides a rollercoaster, and visits a theme park, a water park, and a stunt show.
23. Thrills and Chills Pt. 2 - Daniel plays baseball, rides in a helicopter and a hot air balloon, digs for dinosaur bones, and goes on a camping trip.
24. Music - Daniel learns to conduct an orchestra, writes a song, sings jazz, visits a marching band, and learns to disco dance.
25. Nature, Science, and the Environment - Daniel visits a recycling plant, learns about butterflies, visits a waterfall, goes on an eco-adventure and studies rocks.
26. How Do They Do That? - Daniel goes on a tall ship, tastes new fruits, visits Medieval Times, learns about Egypt, and makes a gingerbread house.
Grade Level: Pre-K - Grade 2
US Release Date: 2006
Copyright Date: 2005
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-549-0
VHS ISBN: 1-59458-548-2
"What a delightful collection! It is a terrific variety of appropriate topics nicely grouped and with distinct parallels to the primary curriculum. Besides the value for children, I think the positive modeling of channeling the energy, focusing the interest and taking advantage of the curiosity is terrific! There is a lot for parents, caregivers, and teachers to learn from this series."
Sandi Zwaan, Educational Consultant