Squirrels and chipmunks are a welcome addition to any backyard, but they can have quite a dramatic effect on the garden. Stuffing their faces with your bulbs and berries, viciously patrolling their territory, these creatures are fascinating to watch.
We tag along with a squirrel to explore how they build their nests and just what they are doing rooting around in between the petals. We also go underground to explore the burrows of chipmunks and find out just what all that racket is about down there.
The other episodes are:
1. Life In A Vegetable Garden - Many mouths to feed, and clever ways to avoid becoming a meal.
2. Nightlife - What comes out at night in the garden.
3. Honeybees - The role of honeybees in a common garden.
4. Appleachia - The amazing array of life an apple tree can lure into a garden.
5. Fungi - What you see is only the tip of the iceberg.
6. Sap Sucking Hoppers - The astronauts of the garden.
7. Garden Mimics - More than meets the eye.
8. Vines - The good, the bad and the ugly side of vines.
9. Whether The Weather - How plants survive the stress of changes in the weather.
10. Weevils - They crawl, they fly, and some even swim...
12. The Old Oak Tree - The diverse world of oaks and their residents.
13. Life In A Lawn - Paradise is a well-tended lawn.
Grade Level: 3-12, College, Adult
US Release Date: 2007
Copyright Date: 2004
DVD ISBN: 1-59458-644-6
"The most eye-popping series."
The (Toronto) Globe and Mail
"Through dramatic macro-photography, viewers enter the sci-fi beauty of the garden and gain a new perspective on the interactive roles played by everything from the lowly earwig to the majestic rose."
The Toronto Star
"This outstanding series is especially recommended for school and community libraries as being of special interest and value for children and adults with an interest in gardening and its flora/fauna ecosystems through all four seasons of the year."
The Midwest Book Review